BlackRock’s business is investing on behalf of our clients, from large institutions to parents and grandparents, doctors and teachers who entrust their savings to us. We are committed to our clients—period. Our promise is to offer them the clearest thinking about what to do with their money and the products and services they need to secure a better financial future.
That’s why investors of all kinds have made us the world’s largest asset manager, entrusting us with trillions of dollars, and it’s why companies, institutions and global governments come to us for help meeting their biggest financial challenges.
About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to tackle some of the world’s most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Web Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve sophisticated problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
The position is for a Web Software Engineer within the Investment Systems Development team within the Aladdin Product Group and are responsible for technology utilized by Researchers, Portfolio Managers, Traders, Risk Managers, Compliance Officers and Investment Operations. More specifically the role is in the team that works alongside BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory (FMA) group, building client solutions.
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
- Curious and eager to learn new things, with a healthy disrespect for the status quo
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to guidance from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- Passionate about technology, with personal ownership for the work you do
- Data-focused, with an eye for the details that matter to tackle the problem
- Passionate about building quality software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Building solutions for BlackRock and over 100 organizations who use our technology
- Developing in Java, Python, Cassandra, Kafka, Apache Ignite, Angular, and many others
- Committed to open source, and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day, with a focus on incremental innovation
- 2+ years hands-on experience developing enterprise software systems
- Strong object-oriented skills and design patterns knowledge and implementation experience using one or more OO languages (e.g. Java, C/C++, Python)
- Knowledge and experience adhering to software development life cycle best practices including test driven development (TDD), unit testing discipline, agile development and CI/CD strategies.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- An ability to translate real business problems into technical solutions
- A track record of forging positive relationships and building trusted partnerships through open dialogue and continuous delivery
- Advanced knowledge and experience developing and working with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase) is a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hiring philosophy
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law. BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
As a job seeker, I was a curious person who was looking to learn new things and build technologies that served a real purpose, so finding a job at BlackRock was perfect for me.